Learning how to live in the moment in 2017 is an essential ingredient in one's quest to achieve a great lifestyle in this modern times. It is impossible to enjoy life at the highest level without being fully aware of the present moment.
Our minds are very active and constantly attempting to break free to occupy themselves with the past, the future, and pure fantasy. While it’s good to prepare for the future and learn from the past, focusing primarily on the present has many benefits.
Try these 11 Simple Steps to Mindfulness : How To Live In The Moment in 2017
I hope you find value in these 11 simple ways to live in the moment and be present with your life:
1. Avoid worry. Worrying is a wasted effort and can only happen when you look to the future. Keep your thoughts on your environment and your current activity. You can’t worry if you leave the future alone.
2. Avoid regret. Take heed from the song in the popular children's movie Frozen, "Let it go, Let it go..." Regret arrives while thinking about the past. The past is over and no longer exists.
So if you're thinking of overhauling your life in order to create your dream lifestyle, do it now.
3. Turn off electronic devices. Easy to say but hard to do but if you're committed, then by golly, " Turn it off!" Cell phones, computers, iPods, and gaming systems distract from the present moment. Find your enjoyment in your life rather than in an imaginary world or in frivolous communication.
4. Avoid multitasking. Try doing one task at a time. Current research is overwhelmingly in favor of single-tasking. You’ll find you perform the task faster and at a higher level. Let multitasking be a thing of the past. Single-tasking is much more conducive to living in the present.
5. Eliminate unnecessary items. Having too many possessions is more of a burden than an advantage. Owning too many things results in disorder that clutters both your physical environment and your mind. If you don’t need it, consider giving it away or selling it.
6. When you hold a grudge, the only one suffering is you! Picture yourself holding a hot stone, which represents the grudge you hold for someone. The person who gets burned is not your enemy but yourself! Anger is distracting and keeps you from enjoying the current moment.
7. Go slowly and deliberately. Rushing creates a unique type of anxiety. Give yourself the time you need to enjoy the current activity. Address one task at a time and give it your full attention. As the saying goes, "Keep calm and carry on."
8. If someone is speaking to you, give them your full attention and participate in the conversation to the best of your ability. It is not only a sign of respect for the speaker, but you get the full benefits of what he/she has to say.
9. Spend 5 minutes of each hour describing your environment. Take 5 minutes and describe to yourself everything you see, hear, smell, and feel. It’s an easy way to bring your mind back to the present moment and keep it there. There’s no way to compete theexercise without being mindful.
10. Eat slowly and enjoy your food. By eating slower, you’ll have the chance to enjoy your food more. You’ll also eat less, which is a good thing for many of us. Try eating an entire orange one piece at a time. Go slowly and focus on the flavor of each section.
11. Under schedule. Too many obligations results in a crowded schedule and time concerns. It’s not easy to stay focused on the current task if you’re worried about being on time for the next one. Leave space between your obligations. Do less and experience more.
Avoid missing out on your life and losing so much time to the past and the future. Living in the moment is a habit and a skill.
Indulging in worry and regret are also habits. While it’s not possible to live entirely in the moment, life is more enjoyable and meaningful when your focus is on the present.
So, there you have it. I hope you gained value from my blog post and start practicing some, if not all these 11 Simple Steps to Mindfulness and Begin Living In The Moment in 2017.
Cheers to your passion, purpose and freedom,